When you are flying with AirAsia through its Low Fare, All-in Fare, Premium Flex Fare, or Premium Flatbed Fare, do you know what are the fees and charges?
Also, do you know the fees and charges for additional services such as checked baggage, seat selection, meal & beverage, wheelchair, sports equipment, excess baggage and etc?
AirAsia implements different set of fees and charges schemes for different travel destinations. Before you book and fly with AirAsia, check out:
- Fees & charges for Departing from klia2
- Fees & charges for Arriving at klia2
- Common fees & charges
- Passenger service charge (PSC) at klia2
A properly planned trip will bring you greater savings and make your trip a truly enjoyable one!
Last updated in June 2017. Check again?
Last updated in June 2017. Check again?
Tools for Trip Planning
Here are some the planning tools you may find useful for your trip.
Common Fees & Charges
What is Processing Fee?
To ensure that AirAsia’s guests are provided a comfortable and safe booking environment, AirAsia has invested substantially to expand, implement and maintain its online systems and especially, to upgrade, enhance and improve the security features for online booking and payments. The Processing Fee is a charge related to the ongoing administrative, maintenance and developmental costs of its online systems.
The fee is collected during the initial payment for new booking or any changes via Manage My Booking. The fee is non-refundable. Kindly note that Processing fee will not be charged for flights to / from the United States.
What is klia2 Fee?
klia2 Fee is charged by AirAsia for mandatory klia2 facilities imposed by the airport operator to the airline such as aerobridges and the SITA check-in / boarding systems. The amount is RM3 per guest. The fee is payable upon booking of your flight. klia2 Fee is charged per guest. klia2 Fee is only applicable to all guests flying on AirAsia and AirAsia X departing from klia2. In line with AirAsia’s Terms and Conditions of Carriage, all klia2 fees paid are non-refundable.
How do I pay for sports equipment fee? What are the fees?
The most convenient way would be to pre book Sports Equipment Fee online. You can pay the sports equipment fee upon check in at the airport counter but it will be more expensive and limited to 20kg. If you pre-book online, you can select from various Sport Equipment weight tiers: 15kg, 20kg, 25kg, 30kg, 35kg and 40kg. These Sport Equipment fees are typically slightly higher than regular Baggage fees as it includes a handling fee.
Sports Equipment Fee is applicable to Surfboards, Snowboards, Bicycles, Scuba, Cricket, Golf and Snow Skiing gears. Any other sporting equipment (that is not stated earlier) is accepted as part of the baggage allowance and you can just purchase normal baggage allowance for that.
What are the price differences between purchasing my checked baggage during the initial flight booking process and pre-booking it later?
Effective from 28th January 2016, AirAsia introduced a new checked baggage pre-booked pricing where checked baggage booked after the completion of the initial flight booking process will be charged at a higher price. If the purchase of the checked baggage is missed out during the initial flight booking process, guests will still be able to enjoy great savings by purchasing the checked baggage via Manage My Booking (after the initial flight booking) as compared to purchasing it at the airport counter.
An example of checked baggage pricing for a one-way flight from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore:
|Checked baggage 20kg|
|During initial flight booking||After initial flight booking||Airport counter rate|
|Checked baggage 20kg||Airport baggage (15kg) + Excess baggage (5kg) = Total check-in weight (20kg)|
Read more about New Checked Baggage Pre-booked Pricing.
What is Passenger Service Charge (PSC)?
Formerly known as Airport Tax, the Passenger Service Charge (PSC) is an aeronautical charge levied on departing domestic and international passengers at all national airports in Malaysia. The PSC is collected by the airlines upon purchase of tickets and is only paid to Airport operator (MAHB) upon completion of the flight.
Effective from 1 Jan 2017, the revised PSC rates is RM11 for domestic flights, and RM35 for flights to Asean countries from all airports in Malaysia. The PSC is RM50 for departures from klia2 and RM73 for departures from KLIA and other airports for flights to international destinations excluding Asean,.
Passengers who do not travel on the flight for which they have purchased the tickets are eligible for full refund for the PSC. Read more about PSC.
What is an All-In Fare?
An all-in fare comprises of the base fare and includes government fees and taxes (except for airport taxes for selected airports where Passenger Service Charge is collected at the point of departure) and carrier-imposed fees.
- All fares are quoted for single journey (one-way) only
- All taxes must be paid at the time of purchase unless otherwise stated
- Foreign fares are subjected to currency exchange rates
- All fares shown do not include processing fee that may be payable or the price of optional products. These items depend on your selections and, if applicable, will be displayed during the booking process. Processing fee will not be charged for flights to / from the United States.
What is Premium Flex?
Premium Flex is designed to give you flexibility that you want for a convenient and fuss-free journey with greater flexibility. And it comes with greater perks as follow:
- Flexi-flight: Flexibility to change your flights
- Pack More: 20KG baggage allowance
- Favourite Seat: Complimentary Pick A Seat
- Xpress Boarding: Be at the front of the line and board first
- AirAsia BIG Point: Earn AirAsia BIG Points, RM 1 = 3 AirAsia BIG Points (Not applicable to D7 flights. Guests on D7 flights will earn RM1 = 1 AirAsia BIG Point.)
- Premium Flex Counter: Dedicated counter for your convenience
- Inflight Meal: Complimentary inflight meal
- Express Baggage: Priority baggage collection at check-out
- Xpress Track: Dedicated Immigration counter. Available in klia2, Kota Kinabalu International Airport and Kuching Internation Airport.
- Premium Red Lounge: Your new airport retreat
- Travel Insurance*: 1 Hour On Time Guarantee and Baggage Delay
Read more about Premium Flex.
What is Premium Flatbed?
Flying in comfort is now yours to enjoy with the Premium Flatbed. This spacious seat reclines to become a full flatbed when desired. It also features a privacy screen, an adjustable head and foot rest, as well as a pillow and duvet for maximum comfort. In addition, it also comes with a reading light and universal power port.
- Free Baggage Allowance: 40kg of checked baggage for all your storage needs. No more holding back on packing!
- Complimentary Meals: Choose from a wide selection of meals, snacks, and drinks to keep you satisfied on board.
- Pick A Seat: Enjoy plenty of legroom when you choose from any of the 12 Premium Flatbed seats in rows 1 – 2.
- Pillow and Duvet: Snuggle with a fluffy pillow and soft duvet for a homey experience.
- Change Flights: Unlimited flight changes up to 2 hours before your original departure time, and 4 hours before your new departure time, subject to fare difference.
- Premium Flatbed Counter: Dedicated counter for your convenience.
- Xpress Boarding: Board the plane ahead of others.
- Priority Baggage: Get your baggage before everyone else after touchdown
- Xpress Track Dedicated Immigration counter at Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (klia2).
- AirAsia Premium Red Lounge Access: If you are departing from klia2, you can sit back, chill and even catch up on unfinished business before continuing your journey with AirAsia.
- Xcite Inflight Entertainment: Enjoy access to hours of movies, TV series, music, games, and magazines—all on the Xcite Tab.
- Travel Insurance*: 1 Hour On Time Guarantee and Baggage Delay. * Flights departing from Malaysia and Thailand only. Not available for flights to Auckland, Honolulu and Dhaka, Fly-Thru flights and island & city transfers.
Read more about Premium Flatbed.
What is Xpress Track?
Effective 15th June 2015, Business Class and Premium Flex (carrier code: D7, XJ, XT, AK, FD, QZ, PQ, Z2, I5) passengers will be entitled to clear immigration at the Xpress Track counter at klia2 for both arrivals and departures. The Immigration Xpress Track counter is located at counter 32 for Departure and at counter A1 for Arrivals. Read more about Xpress Track.
Why do I have to pay a change fee & fare difference for changing my ticket?
AirAsia offers low fares and hopes that everyone has a chance to purchase its sales fares and fly!
AirAsia wants to avoid situations where passengers purchase the cheap fares first and then change for free to higher-priced fares. Hence AirAsia charges you a change fee and also requires you to pay the fare difference if you need to change the time or date of your ticket to ensure it is fair to all its customers.
How often is the list of fees and charges published on this page updated?
Best effort has been deployed to maintain accuracy and consistency of this list of fees and charges is in synched with AirAsia’s fees and charges page. The list of fees and charges will be reviewed quarterly to ensure that the latest pricing is published.
For latest and most updated pricing, please check out AirAsia’s fees and charges page.